PETALING JAYA: Local TV station 8TV will pull out its controversial Ramadhan Public Service Announcements (PSA), following criticism and public outrage. Media Prima chief executive officer Ahmad Izham Omar sent out a tweet Tuesday that they were withdrawing the PSAs.
“Ok guys. We’re pulling out the ads. Thank you very much for your concern,” he tweeted. The PSAs drew a lot of flak from the online community, which accused the station of stereotyping and being racist.
All three announcements, which run for 30 seconds respectively, show the same Chinese girl acting obnoxiously in different situations at Ramadhan bazaar stalls. They depict her being rude, greedy and dressing inappropriately in a public space.
The announcements are then followed by public service messages urging viewers to act appropriately. All the ads end with three 8TV presenters telling people not to get carried away and to understand the significance of Ramadhan, before wishing its viewers Selamat Berpuasa (Happy fasting).
- 5 perkara paling mengarut yg anda tak nak tengok
- Hyderabad - bandar lama yg wajib anda lawati
- Melancong percuma ke negara yg popular ni!
- Pernah anda tengok cookie monster?
- Mudahkan hidup anda dengan ketahui teknik ini
- Hanya ibu bapa sahaja akan faham seronoknya hal ini
- Baca ni jika anda pengguna Estee Lauder
- Melancong percuma jika anda ada ASTRO
- Melancong ke Filipina percuma?
- Comel melampau-lampau budak ni